Summer Drone Camp Academy In Massachusetts Grades 7-12
Limited Spots Available – Co-Educational Program
Welcome To Our Host Facility: Brooks School
At the Drobots Residential Summer Drone Camp located in Massachusetts, right outside the Greater Boston, MA area, you will learn how to:
- Understand the dynamics for drone flight
- Fly and code drones
- Program drones to perform autonomous slight
- Perform mock search & rescue missions
- Create a drone-based business model
- Interact with socially responsible and creative experts within the drone industry
- Race drones through obstacle courses
- Perform and analyze aerial mapping missions
- Produce a video using drone aerial footage, and so much more.
- Learn all about drone safety and the social responsibly of flying drones
Whether you have ever flown a drone/UAV or not, join us and jumpstart your future this summer in one of the fasted growing industries since the internet.
|Location||North Andover, MA|
|Dates||July 29 – August 3|
|Grades||Rising 7th to 12th|
Questions? Contact Us
Our nationally recognized program blends world-class instruction with fun learning activities for a well-balanced experience. In each weeklong session, you will have the opportunity to meet new friends from all over the world, explore a collegiate campus, learn everything there is to know about drone technology and its current STEM applications, build skills that last long after summer. Drobots Company summer programs are segmented by age, providing an optimal camp experience for pre-teens, and teens of all skill levels.
All participants will have the opportunity to enter into the Drobots’ International Competition, where you may test your drone skills and inventive mindset to compete against students from across the country and world.
Drone Summer Camp Academy Details
Drobots Company was originally founded by a small group of parents, educators, visionaries and do-it-yourself engineers. The mission was and still is to inspire students to reduce time in front of a computer screen and instead utilize drone technology in a setting that promotes collaborative project-based learning in a positive educational environment. Hence, the company trademark slogan, Where Technology Meets Fresh Air™.
The primary goal of any Drobots Company program is to mentor participants on how to become lifelong learners and instill a strong sense of curiosity, confidence and teamwork. Due to the exponential growth of the drone industry, kids and teens may now explore, learn and evolve along with the applications of today and the discoveries of tomorrow. Drobots fosters this new technological landscape with a unique curriculum and well-trained positively motivated instructors.
At Drobots we create flexible experiences that shift students between the excitement and hands-on activities of our indoor activities and the freedom and exploration of the outdoors. Participants utilize imagination, hand-eye coordination and STEM applications to conquer challenges and missions – all in a team-oriented environment. Under the umbrella of a friendly competitive and gamified teaching and learning methodology, participants collaborate in a team setting to deconstruct challenges and then solve them.
The core foundation of our company and the programming we work diligently to develop is built upon creativity, exploration, technology and fun. Our commitment and passion is derived from the unlimited positive applications of innovative technology. Throughout all of our kids camps and teen programs students thrive under the supervision of an adult-led staff committed to the development of the individual and team.
Safety is our #1 priority and our rigorous hiring standards attract the best instructors in the country. At Drobots Company we understand that instructors with years of experience working with kids and teens is the key difference between a good experience and a GREAT experience. Our family of instructors embodies the passion and creativity that we strive to inspire in every participant.
Skill Level | Is This Course Appropriate for Your Student?
This drone program is designed for beginner to advanced learners grades 5th to 12th. Personalized instruction allows students to move along at their own pace, while customized lessons provide fun and appropriate challenges. Instructors work closely with students and adjust the curriculum to fit their progress and unique project goals.
8:1 Staff Ratio Guarantee
We guarantee small class sizes, with a maximum of 8 students per instructor. At Drobots, our teaching philosophy is premised on personalization—your path, at your pace. Passionate, all-adult instructors guide you through tailored curriculum with a hand’s on approach. The immersive environment is ideal for fostering creativity and allowing students to reach their learning potential.
One-Week Courses | High-level, Interactive and Project-Based Curriculum
Our one-week program provides you with the right amount of time to get comfortable in your field of study and put your knowledge to use with hands-on projects. You’ll have ample time to work on your flight skills and drone experience portfolio.
You can expect roughly 6-7 hours a day of learning and instruction, with plenty of time for campus excursions, socializing, outdoor activities, drone competitions, and more. Parents want peace-of-mind and student supervision—teens want a taste of independence. We work hard to provide the right balance. We will make your experience valuable and memorable.
- 8:1 Student to Instructor Ratio Guarantee: We guarantee 8 students per instructor for personalized learning and a first class experience.
- All-Adult Instructors: Through our extensive hiring and training program, we employ energetic, drone tech-savvy, all-adult instructors to lead our programs and supervise the students. Our instructors are passionate about teaching students how to excel and how to push through to a higher level of learning.
Our entire staff is comprised of adults ages 18 and over. We do not hire Counselors-in-Training (CITs) at our summer technology camps. We believe you learn best from adults who have mastered their technology skills. Some of our instructors are tech industry professionals. Others are graduate and undergraduate students majoring in the fields of STEM teaching, UAVs, computer science, engineering, app development, film, and other related fields. We’re extremely selective when it comes to our summer staff.
- Selective Hiring Process: We recruit from hundreds of candidates, and select from the best. Drobots has and always will have the reputation as the #1 Educational Drone Summer Program in the world.
- Top Notch & Dedicated: Many of our Drobots instructors are graduates of universities with either an educational, UAV, IT, or engineering background. All of instructors have worked with students in a classroom environment. Some are industry professionals. Our instructors have diverse backgrounds, but do have one thing in common: they all want to teach and lead with the next generation of drone innovators and enthusiasts!
Prerequisite to Attend the Program:
Ability to work in a team.
Tools & Organization:
Each student will join a group (flight squad). Each Flight Squad will be provided with and share various drones, remote controls, iPads, drone batteries/chargers, Drobots’ Flight Books, and all of the other supplies they will need for the week.
Your Flight Squad:
Teamwork wins! You will have to overcome a series of challenges and missions by continually re-engineering your knowledge and skills of drone flight, drone coding, and drone autonomous flight. Participants will create and tune their coding instructions, assessing performance and implementing effective design to conquer the mission at hand.. This program features high-school and college-level STEM principles of hands-on mechanics, critical thinking, and collaboration—vital skills for any student.
Students in this drone/UAV program will take home:
→ Drobots Flight Book
→ Virtual Team Project Board
→ Appreciation for and an understanding of the drone and UAV industry
→ Continuous and abundant access to a new network of friends and mentors
→ Knowledge, skills, memories, and a network of new friends that will last a lifetime
- Safety First: Safety is the core of each Drobots program. We fly safe, stable, reliable drones. Safety glasses are worn at all times. Preflight safety checks are mandatory and become fundamental to the student.
- Personalized Instruction: Your path, at your pace. Most of our summer programs are beginner through advanced. During the program you will be immersed in a blended learning environment nationally recognized curriculum, along with one-on-one instruction from our team of educators. Our approach allows students to learn at an appropriate, customized pace.
- Project-Based Curriculum: At Drobots, you learn by doing. It is a hands-on experience at all times. All students will: interact with industry experts, learn about drone design, understand components of drone hardware and software, complete a final project, create an online portfolio, and bring your new tech knowledge into the real world.
- Real-World Application: All of the projects, missions, and teaching tools we utilize have been specifically designed to provide students with a real-world learning experience. Our goal is to expose the participants to the information, education, and knowledge they need to further explore potential opportunities within the UAV industry – now or in the near future.
Students Will Learn to:
- Free fly various types of drones
- Program drones on autonomous missions
- Code drones to accomplish missions
- Participate in Drone pioneering/search & rescue
- Create, organize and present a new drone business model
- Manage safety situations while using drones
- Collaborate with team members to solve drone missions involving both free flight and autonomous missions.
- How to perform aerial mapping missions and how to analyze the data
Top Skills Gained:
- Software & Hardware Skills Development
- Setting and Accomplishing Drone Missions
- Aerial Mapping Techniques
STEM & 21st Century Skills Development:
- Confidence Building
- Problem Solving
- Project Planning
This program consists of non-stop learning, creativity, flying, and fun!
Participants will be grouped together with students within their own age range. These groups are then appropriately named, Flight Squads. Flight Squads will work together in a collaborative and team-oriented environment while each squad focuses on the challenges at hand. Each participant within a Flight Squad will have her own Drobots’ Flight Book, where all notes, missions, ideas, equipment notes, and more are logged and studied. Flight Books go home with each student, not only as a collection of the memories, but also as a guide to the next step in the journey. The Flight Book has tips, challenges, and information that will allow each student to continue her learning experience well beyond the week at boot camp.
Below are the primary modules the students will learn throughout the week:
Module 1: Drone Search and Rescue
Everyday people who are in danger or need help are saved by drone technology. Drone search and rescue equipment is now a necessity for many first responders around the world, adding a new layer of solutions to save lives across the globe. Now you too can take part in and learn from simulated missions during this action-packed and creative program.
Participants learn to use drones and rely on their rescue team to utilize unique vantage points and combine a multitude of images over specific areas on campus to locate victims and safely rescue them to safety. We use age-appropriate and cutting-edge technology methods available for creating our maps. Participants will not only master techniques on how to pilot a mission and map certain landscapes, but also have the unique opportunity to interact virtually with experts and special guest speakers from within the industry and all over the world.
This program is an ideal way for participants to learn new perspectives of the landscape with accurate, high resolution imagery from the drone cameras. The cutting edge Drobots aerial mapping platform is introduced and used throughout the program while we utilize today’s technology to bring the ground to life. Participants will also learn invaluable lessons on how to simply, quickly and accurately acquire aerial data that, in return, will enable them to make informed and targeted suggestions for real-world positive applications such as: agriculture, construction, mining, and land and resource management. Drone safety and the social responsibilities of flying drones are included in this program.
Module 2: Exploration, Orienteering, Video, & Aerial Mapping
Use the present to prepare for the future. In this program, participants work together to create their own 3D maps -similar to the ones seen on Google and Apple Map apps. Drones are perfect for aerial mapping and repeatable, accurate flight makes a drone the ideal flight platform for near-ground mapping. At Drobots we use the most cutting-edge technology methods available to create our maps. Combining multiple looks at an area as a drone flies over allows us to create 3D models from which may be derived stunningly accurate orthophoto maps. Throughout this program we will learn how drone mapping is positively disrupting major industries around the world such as: agriculture, real estate, construction, mining, and land and resource management.
Participants created textured 3D model may then be downloaded and previewed online for a one-of-a-kind show and tell session at home. Participants will not only learn to learn how to pilot a mission and map various landscapes, but all students will have the unique opportunity to interact virtually with international experts and special guest speakers from within the industry to learn more about this budding industry. The combination of our high resolution cameras and reliable quadcopters enables mapping at levels of detail never before imagined. Drone safety and the social responsibilities of flying drones are included in this module.
Module 3: Fly, Create, and Innovate
Did You Know: Drones deliver medical supplies to persons in need? Drones deliver burritos to college students and Pizza to families? Drones are deployed and drop lifebuoys to swimmers while lifeguards swim to perform a rescue? Drones are one of the most popular items funded on Kickstarter? The landscape is wide open and there is no better time then now to let your imagination run wild. This part of the program will open the creative minds of participants as they learn all about some of the most fascinating drone solutions to date. Teams will learn about some of the incredible problems drone technology has solved.
They will also have the unique opportunity to interact with executives and inventors currently in the drone industry via video conference. Upon building a base of knowledge, experience and confidence, participants will then fly and code drones as they work together in teams to create their own business, environmental, or safety drone solution. Instructors will challenge teams to focus on the social and ethical responsibilities that accompany the powerful and evolving drone technological advances. Drone safety and the social responsibilities of flying drones are included in this part of the module.
Module 4: The Ultimate Drone Games: Speed, Accuracy, Agility, and Skill Competition
The final challenge of the week!
We check all of the boxes for STEM education during this action-packed part of the program, which is full of learning and surprises! Teams transition from the simulator to the remote control and enjoy a multitude of thrilling challenges while participating in unforgettable educational experiences on and off the ground!
Teams prepare for a day of friendly competition as they take to the sky and attempt to win the badge of: Ultimate Drone Games champion. Highly robust, yet simple to handle, participants will turn the sky into an amazing playground and experience the thrill of today’s latest drone technology including drones equipped with mini nerf cannons and mini grabbers.
This part of the program consists of a series of impromptu missions, competitions, and games like no other.
it’s all about the grand finale as teams conquer challenges and earn points, which are applied to the highly anticipated end-of-the-week event: Ultimate Drobots Games.
Summer Drone Academy Camps Offer:
A friendly and encouraging environment where high school students come together to immerse themselves in a residential program second-to-none. Led by drone industry professionals, experts, and instructors, students will be exposed to the drone revolution and new technological concepts and engineering aspects. Students will challenge both their motor skills and creative minds while working together with other drone enthusiasts and students in a team setting.
Drone Boot Camp includes the Drobots Company Challenge Series™, allowing students to compete in various events while they work towards the ultimate reward – an invitation to the Regional and National Drone Challenge Competition Series (DCCS).
- Real-world STEM and STEAM application
- Students will be exposed to an immersive hands-on experience and focus on two or more of the following programs:
- Drones: Photography and Film
- Drones: Business, eco-innovation and entrepreneurship
- Drones: Obstacle Racing
- Drones: Modification and friendly combat preparedness (durability & agility training)
- Drones: Eco-innovation
- All students participate in:
- Industry education and the future of the industry
- In-depth understanding of the capability of drones to create an entrepreneur’s mindset
- Flight control and accuracy challenges (The Ultimate Drobots Games)
- DIY (do it yourself) lessons and tutorials:
- So the education and challenges lasts long after the summer program ends
No prior experience necessary. All skill levels are welcome.
School Information and Details
About The School:
- Established in 1926 in the town of North Andover, Brooks School provides a co-educational, college preparatory program for 380 students on a 270-acre campus overlooking Lake Cochichewick.
- The campus is located about 45 minutes from downtown Boston, MA (South); 2 hours from Hartford, CT (West); 1 hour from Concord, NH (North) and and 1 hour and 40 minutes from Portland, ME (North).
About The Campus
The historic 251-acre campus on the shores of Lake Cochichewick in North Andover, Massachusetts bustles with young campers, academically focused students, aspiring leaders, young robotic engineers and computer programmers.
Check out a quick rundown of everything Brooks School has to offer your camper while they attend the Drobots Residential Academy:
- Two outdoor pools
- Eight tennis courts
- Six athletic fields
- Indoor and outdoor synthetic turf field
- Three full size basketball courts
- Outdoor learning center
- Air conditioned classrooms
- Health & Wellness Center
- Dining facilities
- Ten dorm buildings
- Newly renovated student center
Drobots Program at Brooks School
June 30 – August 3
(orientation and check-in on afternoon of June 29th)
We Offer a Co-Educational Residential & Day Program
Day Program: 20 Students
Residential Program: 40 Students
July 29th to August 3 (Sunday through Friday)
Time For Residential Program (overnight)
Sunday Check-in: 3:00 pm to 5:30 pm
Friday Check-Out: 4:00 pm to 3:30 pm
Time For Day Program Only (NO overnight)
Sunday Orientation: 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm
Daily Hours: 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
Day Program: $979 per student
Residential Program: $1,679 per student
Registration is completed online
Eligible Grade Levels
Day Program: Rising 5th to 12th Grade
Residential Program: Rising 7th to 12th Grade
Each enrolled residential student room will have:
- A regular twin bed and mattress
- A desk (freestanding or built in) with a chair and desk lamp
- A dresser (freestanding or built in)
- Wall-mounted mirror
- Window blinds
- Three or more electrical outlets
- Wireless access
Each Residence Hall has:
- Washing machines and dryers (free of charge to all students) in a separate laundry room
- Household-size refrigerator and microwave in a kitchen area
- A Keurig beverage machine (coffee, hot tea and hot cocoa brewer)
- A “common room” with a TV/VCR/DVD combo player.
We eat well in the school dining hall. Brooks’ dining services company Meriwether Godsey has a vow it swears by: “Prepare with care.” Featuring fresh, local food made from scratch, the menu is ever changing within set categories of:
- vegetarian soup
- vegetarian salad
- featured entree
- vegetarian entree
- “healthier choice” (less than 350 calories and 5 grams of fat)
- vegetables & accompaniments
o All meals are included with your overnight camp tuition.
o Lunch is included with your day camp tuition
Due to liability and insurance regulations and concerns, we do not arrange transportation for our students, nor arrange train/airport pick-ups or carpooling services. All transportation to and from camp is the responsibility of the parent or guardian. There are child transportation services that past campers have utilized, which may be found through a web search. We are not affiliated with any such companies.
If Using UBER or LYFT* (third party private services)
While we do not offer transportation, we will help to ensure your student feels safe and secure. Drobots will send an inquiry form prior to the start of camp. This form will request information related to your student’s mode of transportation. If UBER or LYFT are being used to travel to/from the camp location, we will monitor and track the pick-up/drop-off to or from local airports or train stations to the camp location. There is no rush to notify us since we will send the inquiry form prior to the camp start date.
We are here to help, so please contact us anytime with questions: email@example.com
*We are only able to monitor ground transportation if your child utilizes the GPS-based “location and share arrival time” feature on the UBER or LYFT app.
There are an abundance of hotels and motels within a 3-mile radius of Brooks School.
At the moment we do not have relationships or guaranteed rates with any of the hotels, but below are a few that are nearby the school:
(7 miles from school)
106 Bank Road (Exit 49 off Interstate 495)
Haverhill, MA 01932
Courtyard Boston Andover
(8 miles from School)
10 Campanelli Drive (Exit 45 off Interstate 93)
Andover, MA 01810
or call and ask for the Brooks rates:
Rate code BHLR: 1 king bed, sofabed
Rate code BHLS: 2 queen beds
or book online here and use online booking code B6H
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel-Andover
(8 miles from School)
123 Old River Road (Exit 45 off Interstate 93)
Andover, MA 01810
Check Out Our Other Residential Academy Camp Locations
Drobots Summer Camp Academy Programs Are Unique, One-of-a-Kind Programs Specifically Designed For Teenagers In Rising Grades 7 to 12
No prior experience necessary. All skill levels are welcome
Drobots company specifically designed 21st century STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) skills in and out of the classroom! Summer is the perfect opportunity for our younger age groups to learn the many facets of drones, robotics, and the future of this budding industry. All of our programs have been designed to encourage teamwork, curiosity, critical thinking, courage, and creativity. The summer is for experiential learning and the Drobots Company is committed to exceeding expectations.
Weeklong day and overnight programs offer tech, business, UAVs and photo/film-based classes with a variety of fun and educational summer activities appropriate for the the pre-teenager and teenager group. Come explore with us and get inspired by energetic instructors committed to the development and preparation of the entire student. It’s time to take off and build critical 21st century STEM skills – join us!
No prior experience necessary. All skill levels are welcome.