Residential Drone Academy For Students Entering Grades 7th to 12th
2020 Residential Programs For Rising 7th to 12th Grade
This program welcomes students from the United States and from around the world!
The Drobots Residential Academy is the only program of its kind offered during the summer. In a friendly, supportive, and positive learning environment, novice and experienced male and female students come together from around the country/world for a unique and focused week of drone and UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle) flying, learning, and experimenting. Drobots’ adult-led professional educators and instructors expose and introduce participants to the most recent and relevant drone technology from within the UAV sector. Students then focus their knowledge to better understand the real-life applicability of how drones are positively impacting some of the world’s biggest challenges within: agriculture, utilities, energy, media and entertainment, delivery services, the internet, real estate, mapping, search and rescue, construction and engineering, sports, business, insurance companies and more.
The Drone Camp Academy
Throughout the week, students will progress through learning, flying, solving, and creating. Teamwork, terminology, and communication are key components as students learn:
- How to safely build, fly, fix, and control a drone
- Perform mock industry-related missions (i.e. search & rescue)
- Create their own drone-based business model or friendly solution
- Interact with socially responsible and creative experts within the drone industry
- Learn how to race, code, and navigate drones through obstacle course missions
- Perform and create aerial mapping and models
- Produce photo/video using drone aerial footage and so much more
Whether you have ever flown a drone/uav or not, join the thousands of past and present Drobots’ participants to jumpstart your future this summer in one of the fasted growing industries since the internet.
Nationally Recognized Summer Drone Academy Program
Our nationally recognized program blends world-class instruction with fun learning activities for a well-balanced experience. In each weeklong session, you will have the opportunity to meet new friends from all over the world, explore a beautiful university or boarding school campus, learn everything there is to know about drone technology and its current STEM/STEAM applications, and build skills that last long after summer. Drobots Company summer programs are segmented by age, providing an optimal camp experience for pre-teens, and teens of all skill levels. All students from the United States and all international students from around the world are invited to this unique program.
All participants will have the opportunity to enter into the Drobots’ International Competition, where you may test your drone skills and inventive mindset to compete against students from across the country and world.
See Us In Action
- The Academy
- Meet Drobots
- Our Team Of Educators
- Why Attend?
- Camp Details
- Camp Overview
- Schedule & Outcomes
- Safety First
- Real World Application
Skill Level | Is This Course Appropriate for Your Student?
This drone program is designed for beginner to advanced learners grades 7th to 12th. Personalized instruction allows students to move along at their own pace, while customized lessons provide fun and appropriate challenges. Instructors work closely with students and adjust the curriculum to fit their progress and unique project goals.
8:1 Staff Ratio Guarantee
We guarantee small class sizes, with a maximum of 8 students per instructor. At Drobots, our teaching philosophy is premised on personalization—your path, at your pace. Passionate, all-adult instructors guide you through tailored curriculum with a hand’s on approach. The immersive environment is ideal for fostering creativity and allowing students to reach their learning potential.
One-Week Courses | High-level, Interactive and Project-Based Curriculum
Our one-week program provides you with the right amount of time to get comfortable in your field of study and put your knowledge to use with hands-on projects. You’ll have ample time to work on your flight skills and drone experience portfolio.
You can expect roughly 6-7 hours a day of learning and instruction, with plenty of time for campus excursions, socializing, outdoor activities, drone competitions, and more. Parents want peace-of-mind and student supervision—teens want a taste of independence. We work hard to provide the right balance. We hope to make your experience valuable and memorable.
The primary goal of any Drobots Company program is to mentor participants on how to become lifelong learners and instill a strong sense of curiosity, confidence and teamwork. Due to the exponential growth of the drone industry, kids and teens may now explore, learn and evolve along with the applications of today and the discoveries of tomorrow. Drobots fosters this new technological landscape with a unique curriculum and well-trained positively motivated instructors.
At Drobots we create flexible experiences that shift students between the excitement and hands-on activities of our indoor activities and the freedom and exploration of the outdoors. Participants utilize imagination, hand-eye coordination and STEM applications to conquer challenges and missions – all in a team-oriented environment. Under the umbrella of a friendly competitive and gamified teaching and learning methodology, participants collaborate in a team setting to deconstruct challenges and then solve them.
The core foundation of our company and the programming we work diligently to develop is built upon creativity, exploration, technology and fun. Our commitment and passion is derived from the unlimited positive applications of innovative technology. Throughout all of our kids camps and teen programs students thrive under the supervision of an adult-led staff committed to the development of the individual and team.
Safety is our #1 priority and our rigorous hiring standards attract the best instructors in the country. At Drobots Company we understand that instructors with years of experience working with kids and teens is the key difference between a good experience and a GREAT experience. Our family of instructors embodies the passion and creativity that we strive to inspire in every participant.
- 8:1 Student to Instructor Ratio Guarantee: We guarantee 8 students per instructor for personalized learning and a first class experience.
- All-Adult Instructors: Through our extensive hiring and training program, we employ energetic, drone tech-savvy, all-adult instructors to lead our programs and supervise the students. Our instructors are passionate about teaching students how to excel and how to push through to a higher level of learning.
Our entire staff is comprised of adults ages 18 and over. We do not hire Counselors-in-Training (CITs) at our summer technology camps. We believe you learn best from adults who have mastered their technology skills. Some of our instructors are tech industry professionals. Others are graduate and undergraduate students majoring in the fields of STEM teaching, UAVs, computer science, engineering, app development, film, and other related fields. We’re extremely selective when it comes to our summer staff.
- Selective Hiring Process: We recruit from hundreds of candidates, and select from the best. Drobots has and always will have the reputation as the #1 Educational Drone Summer Program in the world.
- Top Notch & Dedicated: Many of our Drobots instructors are graduates of universities with either an educational, UAV, IT, or engineering background. All of instructors have worked with students in a classroom environment. Some are industry professionals. Our instructors have diverse backgrounds, but do have one thing in common: they all want to teach and lead with the next generation of drone innovators and enthusiasts!
- The world is changing with the use of Drones (Unmanned Aerial Systems, UAS). With the development of technology, drones and personal robots are providing exponential advances in many industries. The terms “Drone”, “UAV” and “UAS” are used interchangeably.
- “The world of drones has skyrocketed in the last few years. They have gone from being a hobby to a booming business, and their capabilities continue to grow, in a variety of job opportunities. This is just the beginning and it’s exciting that Drobots is involved in helping students to learn this new technology,” said Rayce Williams, Drobots instructor.
- In partnership with industry experts, Drobots is offering a fun, but intensive summer program on unmanned aerial vehicles. Drobots will introduce students to this new, exciting, and constantly evolving technology. If you are simply curious about drones or if you are interested in expanding your knowledge or even a future small business in drone: construction, agriculture, advertising, real estate, insurance, public safety, media and photography… then this is the perfect summer program for you!
- The class will include a review of Federal Aviation Administration regulations, mechanics, sensors and payloads, civilian usage, and operations of drones.
- Drobots Company is one of the premier sUAS educational programs in the country for Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS). More commonly called drones, unmanned aircraft represent a sector of aviation that will undergo exponential growth over the coming years.
This is a Co-Ed, Weeklong, Day & Residential Program
STEM/STEAM, Coding, Entrepreneurship, Search & Rescue, Aerial Mapping & Imaging, Film, Photography, Real Life Applicability, and More
- At a Drobots Summer Program, you will learn how to fly a drone, perform search & rescue missions, create your own drone-based business model, interact with socially responsible and creative experts within the drone industry, learn all about safety, race drones, code drones to perform obstacle course missions, perform and create aerial mapping, produce a video using drone aerial footage, and so much more. Whether you have ever flown a drone/uav or not, jumpstart your future this summer in one of the fasted growing industries since the internet.
- Our nationally recognized program blends world-class instruction with fun learning activities for a well-balanced experience. In each weeklong session, you will have the opportunity to meet new friends from all over the world, explore a collegiate campus, learn everything there is to know about drone technology and its current STEM/STEAM applications, build skills that last long after summer. Drobots Company summer programs are segmented by age, providing an optimal camp experience for pre-teens, and teens of all skill levels.
- All participants will have the opportunity to enter into the Drobots’ International Competition, where you may test your drone skills and inventive mindset to compete against students from across the country and world.
Ability to work in a team.
Tools & Organization:
Each student will join a group (flight squad). Each Flight Squad will be provided with and share various drones, remote controls, iPads, drone batteries/chargers, Drobots’ Flight Books, and all of the other supplies they will need for the week.
Your Flight Squad:
Teamwork wins! You will have to overcome a series of challenges and missions by continually re-engineering your knowledge and skills of drone flight, drone coding, and drone autonomous flight. Participants will create and tune their coding instructions, assessing performance and implementing effective design to conquer the mission at hand.. This program features high-school and college-level STEM principles of hands-on mechanics, critical thinking, and collaboration—vital skills for any student.
Students in this drone/UAV program will take home:
→ Drobots’ Flight Book
→ Virtual Team Project Board
→ Appreciation for and an understanding of the drone and UAV industry
→ Continuous and abundant access to a new network of friends and mentors
→ Knowledge that will last a lifetime
- Safety First: Safety is the core of each Drobots program. We fly safe, stable, reliable drones. Safety glasses are worn at all times. Preflight safety checks are mandatory and become fundamental to the student.
- Personalized Instruction: Your path, at your pace. Most of our summer programs are beginner through advanced. During the program you will be immersed in a blended learning environment nationally recognized curriculum, along with one-on-one instruction from our team of educators. Our approach allows students to learn at an appropriate, customized pace.
- Project-Based Curriculum: At Drobots, you learn by doing. It is a hands-on experience at all times. All students will: interact with industry experts, learn about drone design, understand components of drone hardware and software, complete a final project, create an online portfolio, and bring your new tech knowledge into the real world.
- Real-World Application: All of the projects, missions, and teaching tools we utilize have been specifically designed to provide students with a real-world learning experience. Our goal is to expose the participants to the information, education, and knowledge they need to further explore potential opportunities within the UAV industry – now or in the near future.
Students Will Learn to:
- Free fly various types of drones
- Program drones on autonomous missions
- Code drones to accomplish missions
- Participate in Drone pioneering/search & rescue
- Create, organize and present a new drone business model
- Manage safety situations while using drones
- Collaborate with team members to solve drone missions involving both free flight and autonomous missions.
- How to perform aerial mapping missions and how to analyze the data
Top Skills Gained:
- Software & Hardware Skills Development
- Setting and Accomplishing Drone Missions
- Aerial Mapping Techniques
- Business Application and Entrepreneurship
STEM & 21st Century Skills Development:
- Confidence Building
- Problem Solving
- Project Planning
This program consists of non-stop learning, creativity, flying, and fun!
Participants will be grouped together with students within their own age range. These groups are then appropriately named, Flight Squads. Flight Squads will work together in a collaborative and team-oriented environment while each squad focuses on the challenges at hand. Each participant within a Flight Squad will have her own Drobots’ Flight Book, where all notes, missions, ideas, equipment notes, and more are logged and studied. Flight Books go home with each student, not only as a collection of the memories, but also as a guide to the next step in the journey. The Flight Book has tips, challenges, and information that will allow each student to continue her learning experience well beyond the week at boot camp.
Below are the primary modules the students will learn throughout the week:
Module 1: Drone Search and Rescue
Everyday people who are in danger or need help are saved by drone technology. Drone search and rescue equipment is now a necessity for many first responders around the world, adding a new layer of solutions to save lives across the globe. Now you too can take part in and learn from simulated missions during this action-packed and creative program.
Participants learn to use drones and rely on their rescue team to utilize unique vantage points and combine a multitude of images over specific areas on campus to locate victims and safely rescue them to safety. We use age-appropriate and cutting-edge technology methods available for creating our maps. Participants will not only master techniques on how to pilot a mission and map certain landscapes, but also have the unique opportunity to interact virtually with experts and special guest speakers from within the industry and all over the world.
This program is an ideal way for participants to learn new perspectives of the landscape with accurate, high resolution imagery from the drone cameras. The cutting edge Drobots aerial mapping platform is introduced and used throughout the program while we utilize today’s technology to bring the ground to life. Participants will also learn invaluable lessons on how to simply, quickly and accurately acquire aerial data that, in return, will enable them to make informed and targeted suggestions for real-world positive applications such as: agriculture, construction, mining, and land and resource management. Drone safety and the social responsibilities of flying drones are included in this program.
Module 2: Exploration, Orienteering, Video, & Aerial Mapping
Use the present to prepare for the future. In this program, participants work together to create their own 3D maps -similar to the ones seen on Google and Apple Map apps. Drones are perfect for aerial mapping and repeatable, accurate flight makes a drone the ideal flight platform for near-ground mapping. At Drobots we use the most cutting-edge technology methods available to create our maps. Combining multiple looks at an area as a drone flies over allows us to create 3D models from which may be derived stunningly accurate orthophoto maps. Throughout this program we will learn how drone mapping is positively disrupting major industries around the world such as: agriculture, real estate, construction, mining, and land and resource management.
Participants created textured 3D model may then be downloaded and previewed online for a one-of-a-kind show and tell session at home. Participants will not only learn to learn how to pilot a mission and map various landscapes, but all students will have the unique opportunity to interact virtually with international experts and special guest speakers from within the industry to learn more about this budding industry. The combination of our high resolution cameras and reliable quadcopters enables mapping at levels of detail never before imagined. Drone safety and the social responsibilities of flying drones are included in this module.
Module 3: Fly, Create, and Innovate
Did You Know: Drones deliver medical supplies to persons in need? Drones deliver burritos to college students and Pizza to families? Drones are deployed and drop lifebuoys to swimmers while lifeguards swim to perform a rescue? Drones are one of the most popular items funded on Kickstarter? The landscape is wide open and there is no better time then now to let your imagination run wild. This part of the program will open the creative minds of participants as they learn all about some of the most fascinating drone solutions to date. Teams will learn about some of the incredible problems drone technology has solved.
They will also have the unique opportunity to interact with executives and inventors currently in the drone industry via video conference. Upon building a base of knowledge, experience and confidence, participants will then fly and code drones as they work together in teams to create their own business, environmental, or safety drone solution. Instructors will challenge teams to focus on the social and ethical responsibilities that accompany the powerful and evolving drone technological advances. Drone safety and the social responsibilities of flying drones are included in this part of the module.
Module 4: The Ultimate Drone Games: Speed, Racing, Accuracy, Agility, and Skill Competition
The final challenge of the week!
We check all of the boxes for STEM education during this action-packed part of the program, which is full of learning and surprises! Teams transition from the simulator to the remote control and enjoy a multitude of thrilling challenges while participating in unforgettable educational experiences on and off the ground!
Teams prepare for a day of friendly competition as they take to the sky and attempt to win the badge of: Ultimate Drone Games champion. Highly robust, yet simple to handle, participants will turn the sky into an amazing playground and experience the thrill of today’s latest drone technology including drones equipped with mini nerf cannons and mini grabbers.
This part of the program consists of a series of impromptu missions, competitions, and games like no other.
it’s all about the grand finale as teams conquer challenges and earn points, which are applied to the highly anticipated end-of-the-week event: Ultimate Drobots Games.
- American Camp Association Accreditation: Drobots is accredited by the Mid-Atlantic Region of the ACA—and we spread those best practices to each of our programs across the country. Being ACA accredited means we have met over 300 health and safety requirements.
- Background Checks: We conduct criminal background checks, sexual offender background checks, multiple reference checks and identification checks on all instructors and staff members.
- CPR & First-Aid: All program locations are staffed with CPR Certified Directors and Instructors.
- Risk Management Training: Our staff members attend in-person risk management training, and our content is updated every year as conditions change.
- Drone Safety and drone flying precautions will be introduced, reinforced, and maintained at all times.
A friendly and encouraging environment where high school students come together to immerse themselves in a residential program second-to-none. Led by drone industry professionals, experts, and instructors, students will be exposed to the drone revolution and new technological concepts and engineering aspects. Students will challenge both their motor skills and creative minds while working together with other drone enthusiasts and students in a team setting.
Drone Boot Camp includes the Drobots Company Challenge Series™, allowing students to compete in various events while they work towards the ultimate reward – an invitation to the Regional and National Drone Challenge Competition Series (DCCS).
- Real-world STEM and STEAM application
- Students will be exposed to an immersive hands-on experience and focus on two or more of the following programs:
- Drones: Photography and Film
- Drones: Business, eco-innovation and entrepreneurship
- Drones: Obstacle Racing
- Drones: Modification and friendly combat preparedness (durability & agility training)
- Drones: Eco-innovation
- All students participate in:
- Industry education and the future of the industry
- In-depth understanding of the capability of drones to create an entrepreneur’s mindset
- Flight control and accuracy challenges (The Ultimate Drobots Games)
- DIY (do it yourself) lessons and tutorials
- So the education and challenges lasts long after the summer program ends
No prior experience necessary. All skill levels are welcome.
“Our daughter (Amelia) had a great time this week at the drone camp in Cambridge. We are using 9 distinct summer programs this year, and this has so far been the best. Thank you for running such a terrific program and to the staff for being so responsive in advance about whether other girls were enrolled. Amelia has had a lot of exposure to quadcopters and related technology over the past many years in Jonathan’s lab at MIT, but it was great for her to get a sense of ownership and much more working knowledge of this area at this week’s camp. Great program at a wonderful site with strong staff on the Drobots side. Thank you!!”
Professor J. How
M.I.T., Aeronautics and Astronautics
The Aerospace Controls Laboratory (ACL) & The Laboratory for Information and Decision Systems (LIDS) Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Choose Your Location Below To Join The Experience
7th to 12th grade residential academy camp summary
Drobots’ camps for older students are specifically designed to introduce 21st century STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math) skills in and out of the classroom! Summer is the perfect opportunity for rising 7th to 12th graders to learn about the many facets of drones, robotics, and the future of this budding industry and how it applies to real life opportunity.
All of our programs have been designed to encourage and build: fun, teamwork, curiosity, critical thinking, courage, and creativity. The summer is for experiential learning and Drobots Company is committed to providing a safe and friendly platform to deliver a program that “exceeds expectations”.
Come explore with us and get inspired by energetic instructors committed to the development and preparation of the entire student. It’s time to take off and build STEM skills that will build the foundation for many years to come – join us! No prior experience necessary. All skill levels are welcome.
You cannot find a program like this one anywhere in the country. I am so glad we heard about you on the NPR interview. My daughter is now looking at colleges who have UAV programs, which is truly incredible considering she knew nothing about this technology a year ago. Thank you, Drobots.
William has the DJI Phantom and Spark at home, so I was very happy he had a camp to attend with other like-minded and focused students. The aerial mapping and photography portion of your camp are truly remarkable.
Neither my son nor I had any idea on what to expect from this camp. Especially since we have not seen or heard of others like it in the US or in South America. Although it was a long trip from Brazil, we are so happy we signed up for your program in Maryland. The experience of flying drones all day, and also being around other students who love robotics and s.t.e.m. programs was a great immersion program for him.